Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A twist on classic blondies -- veggies, fruit, nuts, and chocolate -- what’s not to love!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange rind (grated from a fresh orange)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, grated
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch square pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, ground flax seed, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, egg, vanilla, orange peel, orange juice and buttermilk.
- Add liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Gently mix in zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour into pan and bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
The flavors didn't come through like I expected. It was more like a bar rather than a cake as it didn't rise much. The texture was nice and the finished product looked okay and sliced well. If I make this again I'll add some orange extract and sub raisins for the chocolate chips. Good luck in the contest.