Recipe by Katzen
The ultimate chocolate cookie recipe - it earns rave reviews wherever you take them! Add nuts, change them to white chocolate chip macadamia nut - this is a very flexible recipe!
Top Review by Shelby Jo
These cookies are so great! I used milk chocolate chips instead of the semi sweet but otherwise made as directed, well besides the fact that I *accidently* dumped in the whole bag of chips :) haha. They were so delicious...a little crunch on the outside and chewy on the inside. This one's a keeper!
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup crisco butter shortening (or 3/4 stick crisco butter shortening sticks)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecan pieces (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Combine brown sugar, shortening, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Beat in egg. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into shortening mixture until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls 3-inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes for chewy cookies (they will look light and moist), or 11 to 13 minutes for crisp cookies. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet on a cooling rack. Remove cookies to rack to cool completely.
- * If nuts are omitted, add an additional 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.