Prep 35 mins
Cook 18 mins
This is like a chocolate chip cookie with a brownie baked on top. It has a huge yield, but they'll go fast. I got the recipe from "One Pot Chocolate Desserts" by Andrew Schloss. Enjoy!
- 354.88 ml unsalted butter
- 473.18 ml brown sugar, packed
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 768.91 ml flour
- 473.18 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 118.29 ml cocoa powder
- 236.59 ml walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a 10 x 15 jelly roll pan with foil, and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the sugar, vanilla, and 3 of the eggs until smooth.
- Add the baking soda in pinches.
- Mix in the flour and stir until smooth.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan and spread in a thin layer.
- Press the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Beat the remaining eggs and cocoa into the batter until smooth. Mix in the walnuts.
- Pour into the pan on top of the first layer and spread evenly.
- Bake on the lowest rack for 18 minutes, until the top is dry but the interior is not yet firm.
- Store for up to one week, wrapped in plastic.
An interesting take on the whole bar cookie/brownie thing...Didn't have a jelly roll pan so I used a nonstick 13X9...Even so, it took only a few moments longer than the recipe stated, about 21 min...I personally liked the cakey brownie but not the "cookie" base...But, when I brought it to work, for the coffee cart, they loved the whole thing...Thank you for posting this recipe!
These were good but I think they were missing some flavor - a little salt would probably make a *huge* difference. The batter was a little tough to spread in the pan and they could have stood baking a little longer than 18 min. Next time I make these I will add 1/2-1 tsp salt and bake 20-25 minutes. Thanks for the recipe!
Very good chewing brownies! This recipe makes a lot, so they would be perfect for a school bake sale. I skipped the walnuts and needed to bake them longer than indicated. Thanks for sharing!