1/3 Photos of Choc Chip & Banana Pudding W/Glossy Choc Sauce (Steamed)
2 hrs 30 mins
This is another lovely dessert from my Chocolate cookbook by Christine McFadden & Christine France. These girls never fail me! This 1 is steam-cooked in a 4-cup bowl. My steamer is oblong-shaped & will not accept a 4-cup rd bowl, so I have made it in 4 individual dessert bowls & 8 ramekins. Adjusted cooking time for these sizes is noted below. The taste of banana & choc is pleasingly subtle here & combines w/an almost gingerbread flavor that reminds me of my mom. Serve it warm w/the choc sauce as suggested below. You are going to love this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (or margarine)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (or chopped unsweetened chocolate)
For Glossy Chocolate Sauce
- 1Prepare a steamer or half fill a saucepan w/water & bring to a boil. Grease a 4-cup deep bowl.
- 2Sift flour into a bowl & rub in the unsalted butter or margarine till the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- 3Mash bananas in a bowl. Stir them into the flour & butter mixture. Then add the sugar & mix well.
- 4Whisk milk w/the egg in a measuring cup or sml bowl & beat into the pudding mixture. Stir in the choc chips or chopped chocolate.
- 5Spoon the mixture into the prepared bowl & cover lightly w/a double thickness of foil. Steam for 2 hrs & add water as needed.
- 6While the pudding steam cooks, prepare the glossy choc sauce as follows:.
- 7Place sugar & water in heavy saucepan & heat gently. Stir occ w/a wooden spoon till all sugar has dissolved.
- 8Stir in the choc till melted & add butter the same way. DO NOT LET THE SAUCE BOIL. Stir in brandy or orange juice & set aside, but do not chill.
- 9When pudding has finished cooking, allow it to cool slightly, run a knife around the top of the pudding to loosen it & turn it over onto a serving dish.
- 10Serve warm w/the sauce ladled over ea individual serving.
- 11NOTE: For 4 individual servings in dessert bowls or 8 ramekins, divide batter equally in the 4 (or 8) containers, cook in steamer for 1 hr & test w/toothpick. If not done, cook an add'l 10 min & remove from steamer to cool slightly b4 serving. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Choc Chip & Banana Pudding W/Glossy Choc Sauce (Steamed)
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 876.2
- Calories from Fat 457
- Total Fat 50.8 g
- Saturated Fat 31.0 g
- Cholesterol 116.0 mg
- Sodium 536.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 57.3 g
- Protein 12.7 g