Recipe by twissis
This is another lovely dessert from my Chocolate cookbook by Christine McFadden & Christine France. These girls never fail me! This 1 is steam-cooked in a 4-cup bowl. My steamer is oblong-shaped & will not accept a 4-cup rd bowl, so I have made it in 4 individual dessert bowls & 8 ramekins. Adjusted cooking time for these sizes is noted below. The taste of banana & choc is pleasingly subtle here & combines w/an almost gingerbread flavor that reminds me of my mom. Serve it warm w/the choc sauce as suggested below. You are going to love this!
Top Review by Sackville
Yum yum! There was some debate in our house about whether the pudding should have risen more? It was relatively flat but still delicious and completely decadent with the chocolate sauce. We'll make it again, perhaps in ramekins next time to shorten the cooking time. Thanks for posting it!
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (or margarine)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips (or chopped unsweetened chocolate)
For Glossy Chocolate Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 6 ounces chocolate (chopped into sml pieces)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brandy (or orange juice)
- Prepare a steamer or half fill a saucepan w/water & bring to a boil. Grease a 4-cup deep bowl.
- Sift flour into a bowl & rub in the unsalted butter or margarine till the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Mash bananas in a bowl. Stir them into the flour & butter mixture. Then add the sugar & mix well.
- Whisk milk w/the egg in a measuring cup or sml bowl & beat into the pudding mixture. Stir in the choc chips or chopped chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared bowl & cover lightly w/a double thickness of foil. Steam for 2 hrs & add water as needed.
- While the pudding steam cooks, prepare the glossy choc sauce as follows:.
- Place sugar & water in heavy saucepan & heat gently. Stir occ w/a wooden spoon till all sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in the choc till melted & add butter the same way. DO NOT LET THE SAUCE BOIL. Stir in brandy or orange juice & set aside, but do not chill.
- When pudding has finished cooking, allow it to cool slightly, run a knife around the top of the pudding to loosen it & turn it over onto a serving dish.
- Serve warm w/the sauce ladled over ea individual serving.
- NOTE: For 4 individual servings in dessert bowls or 8 ramekins, divide batter equally in the 4 (or 8) containers, cook in steamer for 1 hr & test w/toothpick. If not done, cook an add'l 10 min & remove from steamer to cool slightly b4 serving. Enjoy!