Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 1 medium cho cho
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste or 1 teaspoon tamcon
- 2 teaspoons Urad Dal (black gram dal)
- 2 teaspoons channa dal (bengal gram dal)
- 3 dried red chili peppers
- 2 teaspoons dessicated dry coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Cut the cho cho diagonally in half and remove the seed.
- Grate the cho cho.
- In a kadai or dutch pot, add 1/2 tsp of oil.
- Lightly roast the chana dal, urad dal and the dry red chilli.
- Saute the grated cho cho separately for about 5 minutes.
- Now grind the chana dal, urad dal, chilli, dry coconut and the tamarind paste to a medium consistency.
- Add salt to taste.
- In a dutch pot add 1/2 tsp of oil and when the oil becomes hot add the mustard seeds and when it starts to crackle add the asafoetida powder.
- Add this to the thuvaiyal and mix it thoroughly.
- Serve the thuvaiyal with hot rice, as it tastes so good and is delicious to eat.