Recipe by Ravenseyes
This is an easy side dish to a great veal or chicken dish - a light pasta like dish that has half the calories - give it a try!!!
Top Review by Um Safia
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 ~ Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles! I have been in love with Spaetzle since I lived in Germany & I really wanted to try this recipe! I made 1/4 of the recipe, used chives from the garden & we had them with a little butter as part of a light lunch. We can't get egg beaters / sub. in the UK so I used regular eggs & the recipe turned out great. Thanks Ravenseyes for a yummy spaetzle recipe!
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 cups buttermilk (more if needed)
- 1 cup chives (finely minced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the dairy ingredients and mix. Combine all of the wet ingredients and add them to the dry ingredients in a steady stream, while mixing. Once the ingredients are combined use a whisk and beat well to develop the gluten. Let the flour rest for a half-hour.
- Heat a pot filled 2/3 full of salted water. Bring to a boil with a perforated pan on top. Pour a small amount of the batter into the perforated colander on top and work it through the holes with a scrapper.
- Let the spatzel cook for about one minute. Remove with a strainer and shock in salted ice water. Remove from the ice water and allow to dry slightly on absorbent paper towels. Store in Refrigerator.
- For service, sear the spatzel in whole butter. You will want to develop color without burning. Turn only once.