1 hr 20 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This is not a dessert (not sweet), but more like a 'quick bread' for the Chinese. This 'cake' is usually made and eaten during the Chinese New Year or its slices are usually found all year round among the Dim-Sums in the Chinese restaurants. You can chill it in the fridge, but it should always be eaten hot after re-heating either in the microwave, or frying in a few tablespoons of oil. This cake can be kept for 1 week in the fridge (but usually it's finished within a day!!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked overnight in water
- 1/3 cup dried shrimp, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 1 lb pork sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 slices fresh gingerroot
- 3 turnips, shredded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 2/3 lb rice flour
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms, shrimp and sausages and sauté for 1/2 minute.
- 2Remove from skillet and set aside. Heat 1 more tablespoon oil in wok/skillet. Add ginger and sauté a bit.
- 3Add shredded turnips and stir fry for about 3 minutes (do NOT remove turnip water). Add 5-spice powder, salt, chicken bouillon and white pepper and toss all together until evenly distributed.
- 4Extract ginger slices from mixture.
- 5Turn off heat. Top turnip mixture with rice flour and use chopsticks to toss and mix flour in evenly. Add reserved sausage mixture and toss to mix inches.
- 6Remove mixture from wok/skillet and place into a 9x2 inch deep round cake pan.
- 7Clean wok/skillet, fill with water and bring to a boil. Place cake pan on a round wire rack over boiling water.
- 8Reduce heat to low and let simmer, steaming cake 'batter', for 45 minutes. (Note: you can also use a large bamboo steamer if you have one).
- 9When 'cake' is steamed through, slice into pieces and serve hot or cool on wire rack before covering tightly with plastic wrap and placing in refrigerator to chill.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese New Year Turnip Cake
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.3
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 54.5 mg
- Sodium 1342.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 18.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder