An authentic home-style Chinese dish. One of my Chinese friends is always delighted when she learns a new dish, and when she served me this one the other day, she was eager to tell me how it is made. She had just learned it from a Hui (Chinese Muslim) friend. I'm not sure the name of the chili that is actually used for this dish. It is pale green, crinkly and irregular in shape, and mild, normally chopped up seeds and all for stir-fry. It is the most common chili in the Chinese market (at least in Yunnan), and is called qing jiao, but I can't figure out the name in English. The second most common chili here is the Anaheim, so I listed that one in the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In small bowl, mix raw ground beef with salt.
- 2Mince chili pepper and celery (3mm pieces). The Chinese leave the seeds in the chili, which yields a spicy dish. You may remove them if you like.
- 3Thinly slice garlic.
- 4Heat empty wok over highest heat for 30 seconds. Add peanut oil and swirl to heat. When oil starts to smoke, add garlic and stir a few seconds until slightly fragrant.
- 5Quickly, before garlic burns, add chili peppers and celery and stir-fry several minutes. They should not lose their color.
- 6Remove vegetables to a bowl, leaving as much oil in the wok as possible.
- 7Again make sure wok is very hot, then add peppercorns and sizzle briefly until fragrant.
- 8Add beef and stir-fry a minute or two until done.
- 9Add vegetables to meat, combine thoroughly, and serve with rice and several other Chinese dishes.
- 10Serves four as part of a Chinese meal. Serves 1 or 2 with no other dishes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Muslim Stir-Fried Beef and Celery (Qin Cai Chao Niu Rou)
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.0
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 57.8 mg
- Sodium 639.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: