1/2 Photos of Chinese Crispy Spring Rolls
Sue Lau's Note:
This is a vegetarian version of spring rolls. You can replace the mushrooms with minced meat if you like a regular version. If you like shrimp, just add them in place of the carrots. This recipe is posted by request, and comes from Linda Doeser.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 bunch scallion
- 2 carrots
- 2/3 cup bamboo shoot, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 20 egg roll wraps (approximate)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch paste
- flour (for dusting)
- oil (for deep frying)
- soy sauce (for dipping, or other dipping sauces, as desired)
- 1Shred vegetables to the same size and shape as bean sprouts.
- 2Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok and stir-fry vegetables for 1 minute.
- 3Add salt, sugar, light soy sauce, and rice wine.
- 4Stir-fry 2 minutes more; drain and cool.
- 5To make a spring roll, cut the wrapper in half diagonally.
- 6Place 1 tbsp of veggie mixture one-third of the way down the wrapper, then turn the wrapper so the small tip of the diagonal is pointing away from you.
- 7Fold the wide edge of the wrapper over the filling and roll over one time.
- 8Fold in the sides, and roll the wrapper away from you one time more.
- 9Brush the upper edge of the wrapper with cornstarch paste (to make cornstarch paste, simply mix 4 parts cornstarch to 5 parts cold water, and stir till dissolved).
- 10Finish rolling the spring roll, keeping it a bit tight.
- 11Sprinkle some flour on a baking sheet (to keep spring rolls from sticking), and rest the spring rolls there, flap side down, while you finish making the other rolls.
- 12To cook, heat the oil in a wok or fryer until hot, then reduce the heat to low.
- 13Fry the spring rolls in batches, making sure not to crowd, cooking until they are golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
- 14Remove rolls from oil and drain on paper toweling.
- 15Serve hot with soy sauce, or sweet and sour and hot mustard, if desired.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Crispy Spring Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.2
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 178.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 1.9 g