Recipe by Sharon123
If you want really good flavor, make your own spice mix! In the ingredients, the Szechwan peppers are actually peppercorns, but for some reason, the computer program won't let me say that. This is adapted from China Moon Cookbook. This can be used in marinades, sauces, mayonnaises, chopped meat, sauteed vegetables, and pastas! Have fun!
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 10 star anise, broken into points
- 2 tablespoons szechwan black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast the whole spices together in a small dry skillet over low heat. Stir and adjust the heat so spices toast without burning. Stir until the spices are totally fragrant and the fennel seeds and lighter colored spices are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in ground spices.
- Use a spice grinder or coffee grinder to grind the mix finely.
- Store in a tightly covered glass jar.
- May use in seasoning marinades and sauces, mayonnaises, chopped meat mixes, sauteed veggies and pastas. Enjoy!