Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From: "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way" by Lorna Sass. "In this elegant soup, a refreshing cucumber-yogurt puree forms a moat around a mound of brightly seasoned bulgur. It's the perfect light lunch in the dog days of summer." *Time does not include time to cook bulgur or chill.
For the Soup
- 8 large cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, and seeded
- 1 1⁄3 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons fruity olive oil
- salt, to taste
For the Timbales
- 1 1⁄3 cups cooked coarse bulgur or 1 1⁄3 cups cooked quinoa or 1 1⁄3 cups cooked short-grain brown rice
- 1⁄3 cup tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin, seeded toasted and finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 4 fresh mint sprigs, to garnish (optional)
- Reserve half of one cucumber.
- Place the remaining cucumbers into a food processor with the yogurt, milk, lemon juice, and oil to taste. Puree. (Some of the cucumber pulp will remain evident in the puree.).
- Add salt to taste.
- Chill the puree and reserved cucumber separately.
- Meanwhile, make the timbale mixture:.
- Combine the cooked bulgur, tomato, oil, lemon juice, chopped mint, cumin, and salt in a small bowl. Cover and set aside to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To serve:.
- Finely dice the reserved cucumber and stir into the puree.
- Divide the cucumber puree among four wide, shallow soup bowls.
- Firmly press enough bulgur mixture into a 1/3 cup measuring cup to reach the top. Run a knife along the edges to loosen the timbale. Position it over the center of a soup bowl and turn it over. Tap the bottom to release the timbale into the puree. Repeat to make 3 more servings.
- Garnish each portion with a sprig of mint.
This was tasty and refreshing. It makes a lot of soup, I used 6 cucumbers and still had enough for more than 4 people. I accidentally had no tomatoes so substituted tomato paste, otherwise made as directed - I used brown rice.