1/1 Photo of Chilled Cucumber-Yogurt Soup With Bulgur Timbales
From: "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way" by Lorna Sass. "In this elegant soup, a refreshing cucumber-yogurt puree forms a moat around a mound of brightly seasoned bulgur. It's the perfect light lunch in the dog days of summer." *Time does not include time to cook bulgur or chill.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Soup
- 8 large cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, and seeded
- 1 1/3 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons fruity olive oil
- salt, to taste
For the Timbales
- 1 1/3 cups cooked coarse bulgur or 1 1/3 cups cooked quinoa or 1 1/3 cups cooked short-grain brown rice
- 1/3 cup tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, seeded toasted and finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 4 fresh mint sprigs, to garnish (optional)
- 1Reserve half of one cucumber.
- 2Place the remaining cucumbers into a food processor with the yogurt, milk, lemon juice, and oil to taste. Puree. (Some of the cucumber pulp will remain evident in the puree.).
- 3Add salt to taste.
- 4Chill the puree and reserved cucumber separately.
- 5Meanwhile, make the timbale mixture:.
- 6Combine the cooked bulgur, tomato, oil, lemon juice, chopped mint, cumin, and salt in a small bowl. Cover and set aside to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 7To serve:.
- 8Finely dice the reserved cucumber and stir into the puree.
- 9Divide the cucumber puree among four wide, shallow soup bowls.
- 10Firmly press enough bulgur mixture into a 1/3 cup measuring cup to reach the top. Run a knife along the edges to loosen the timbale. Position it over the center of a soup bowl and turn it over. Tap the bottom to release the timbale into the puree. Repeat to make 3 more servings.
- 11Garnish each portion with a sprig of mint.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilled Cucumber-Yogurt Soup With Bulgur Timbales
Serving Size: 1 (800 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.4
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 6.1 mg
- Sodium 87.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 17.7 g
- Protein 14.8 g