Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is off the web, by fran from chile, posted for the ZWT 7 tour of South/Central America. I have not tried this. This is a very popular classic Peruvian dessert served everywhere in Chile. Cooking time includes chilling time.
- Whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, vanilla, and egg yolks in a saucepan.
- Place over medium-low heat and gently cook until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, about 30 minutes.
- Pour into a heatproof serving dish and set aside.
- Whip the egg whites with confectioners' sugar to stiff peaks.
- Spread meringue on top of milk mixture.
- Refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.
Wow. I actually would have given 3 stars but everyone liked it! I was expecting sort of custardy base w/meringue topping. The egg whites deflated when the sugar was added & was more like marshmallow. Not entirely a bad thing. ;) This was OMG SWEET. WAY SWEET. But this is part of the reason the kids liked it so well. I liked it but in small doses. The base was the consistency of pudding & the flavor almost butterscotchy. What could be added to it to make it less sweet? Did I mess up making the meringue? Interesting recipe. Made for Aussie Swap 2/12.