Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Food is a perfect way to connect us all. :) This recipe shows how you can get to know another country's culture in the comfort of your own backyard.;) Recipe by Nirmala Narine, who is founder of nirmalaskitchen.com and cookbook author.Beter Homes and Gardens Magazine, August 2010 edition.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 medium jalapeno chile, peppers stem removed and thinly sliced
- 2 small shallots, peeled and thinly sliced (or 4 green onions, white parts only, thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup diced green and red tomatoes
- 2 avocados, peel and seeded, coarsely chopped
- sea salt, kosher salt or salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 -6 kosher all-beef frankfurters
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 -6 hoagie rolls or 4 -6 hero rolls, split
- AVOCADO-CHILI RELISH:.
- In a bowl whisk together olive oil, cilantro, jalapenos, shallots, and lime juice.
- Gently fold in tomatoes and avocados.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Prepare frankfurters as desired.- (We chose to grill them) over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter and garlic.
- Spread butter mixture on the sub rolls.
- In a large frying pan or on a grill rack over medium heat, place the rolls buttered side down and toast until light golden.
- TO SERVE:.
- Tuck frankfurters in toasted rolls and top with Avocado-Chili Relish. Serve immediately. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- *When working with hot chile peppers, wear plastic gloves or wash hands well after cutting; the peppers contain oil that may burn skin and eyes.
Ohhhh I have an idea...let's eat more hot dogs! Oh and another idea...add to it some avocado! Oh or, wait, I've got it...and some jalapenos! Yeah that oughta do it! What? What you already did that? OOO-kayyyyy Excellent idea we had there! ;-)