Recipe by Chef Regina V. Smith
A platter of baby artichokes flavoured with lime juice and cilantro adds some drama to a spring time buffet table. Find the smallest fresh baby artichokes you can find for best results. Do not use canned artichokes for this. Stick to fresh.
For the Salad
- 16 baby artichokes (choose small, firm baby artichokes with tightly closed tender leaves)
- lettuce or mixed baby greens
- 1 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
For the Green Vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- To cook baby artichokes, bring a large non-reactive pot (such as stainless steel or enameled cast iron - not, for example aluminum, copper or bare cast iron) of water to a boil. Use a stainless steel knife to cut off the top quarter of each artichoke and trim stems to about 1 " long. Bend back outer green leaves and snap them off at the base until you reach leaves that are yellow. Trim remaining green from base.
- Boil artichokes for 10 to 20 minutes, until a leaf can be easily pulled off. Drain upside down. Meanwhile, spread lettuce or greens on a serving plater and arranged 1/2 chopped eggs and tomato wedges on top, leaving room in the center for the artichokes.
- Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a blender or food processor, and puree them until smooth.
- When the artichokes are cool enough to handle, halve or quarter them. Arrange the artichokes in the center of the platter and pour the vinaigrette over top. Top with remaining chopped egg.