Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
The combination of frozen meatballs and chile verde sauce was a very happy discovery... the results are absolutely delicious! (And they're almost ridiculously easy to prepare, too.) I plan on making these in the future for potlucks and as appetizers. This is another Pantry Challenge recipe, where I use items I already have at home to make meals.
- 1 large fresh onions, minced or diced or 1⁄2 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 -4 cloves minced garlic, to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) jarla victoria salsa verde
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup mexican beer
- 1 1⁄2 lbs frozen meatballs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, for garnish
- Into a large, heavy pot, add the onion, garlic, salsa verde, broth or beer, and the meatballs.
- Simmer on low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally; add the ground cumin and simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Serve with sour cream for garnish, along with rice and beans and tortillas (the sauce goes nicely on other items, too).
- Note: you can also make this in your crockpot on low for 4 hours, adding in the cumin in the last 30 minutes.
I really intended to take a photo of this, but somehow it all just disappeared before I could get out the camera. I used home-made meatballs, and added about 1/4 cup of chopped green chiles, just because I wanted to use them up. These were super easy to make! However, next time I think I'll saute the onions and garlic first, just to give the sauce a bit more depth and complexity. I was looking for an alternative to the usual sauce for the meatballs, and this worked out great. Thanks for also helping me use up my jar of salsa verde - wouldn't want it to get old.
I used frozen meatballs and made this today for a quick lunch. Super easy and I only simmered for about 10 minutes. Maybe because my meatballs were on the small side? I felt any longer and they would of fallen apart. No worries though because that just means I got to eat them faster. Sour cream was delicious on these. Didnt eat over rice or pasta because Im low carbing it. Thanks for sharing:) They stood alone on their own just fine.
I've become a big fan of having homemade meatballs in the freezer because they are so handy for quick meals. This is a flavorful change from the usual tomato-based sauces for meatballs. Nice and spicy, I served this over saffron rice.