Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The slight sweetness of the maple syrup and earthiness of the walnuts contribute to the uniqueness of this salad. Recipe from LCBO Food and Drink magazine sring 2006 issue.
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (fresh ground)
- 1 crisp ripe pear
- 12 cups chicory lettuce (torn and mixed)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coarsely chop walnuts and spread on a baking sheet.
- Bake 5 minutes, stir then continue baking another 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool.
- To make vinaigrette, whisk vinegar with olive oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Core and slice pear.
- Place chicory and pear in a large salad bowl.
- Toss with vinaigrette until leaves are shiny.
- Scatter with walnuts and serve right away.
This salad is excellent simple and delicous. I served it at my father's birthday dinner and it was a huge hit! The dressing is wonderful sweet from maple syrup and a good tang from vinegar. I highly reccomend this salad as an elegant, healthy side dish. One thing I would not suggest using the chicory it is very bitter, I used leafy greens or spinach, of course this is a matter of personal taste. THANKS!