Recipe by Elise and family
The vegetables in this dish combine to make it very flavourful, although it is very simple to prepare. Aromatic and filling, this will surely please on a cool day!
Top Review by lala_g
Great, easy recipe. I modified it a bit using ingredients I had on hand: chopped fresh garden tomatoes and green (not red) pepper, garlic powder instead of fresh garlic. I topped with a handful of spring mix and a squeeze of lemon juice instead of blanched kale. Very easy, tasty and healthy lunch!
- 1 (398 ml) can chickpeas
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) canwhole cooked tomatoes, organic
- 1⁄2 lb kale, chopped (in long strips)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, julienne
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red chili (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry garlic in olive oil in a large, deep frying pan.
- Add tomatoes. Gently break apart in the pan with a big spoon. Add chickpeas, salt and pepper, and chilis (if desired). Simmer on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally to evenly mingle spices with tomatoes and chickpeas.
- Boil water in a large pot with a lid, about a quarter full.
- Wash and chop pepper and kale.
- Add pepper to chickpeas pan.
- Add kale to pot of boiling water and cover with lid. Cook one minute.
- Remove kale from boiling water with tongs and add directly to chikpeas mixture, still in the pan. Stir everything together.
- Serve in pasta bowls (especially if you like the "juice" as we do!). Enjoy!