1/2 Photos of Chickpea and Kumara Salad
1 hr 20 mins
Kumara is gold sweet potato. For this recipe you could substitute a can of washed and drained chickpeas in place of the dried. If using the dried chickpeas, they do need to be soaked in water overnigh tand then cooked for about an hour
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans (200 grams)
- 1 red onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 red capsicum, sliced thickly (red sweet bell-pepper)
- 1 medium kumara, cut into1cm pieces (gold sweet potato about 400 grams)
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 200 g baby spinach leaves
- 1If using the dried chickpeas- they do need to be soaked overnight. Place the chickpeas in a medium sized bowl and cover them with cold water. cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2Drain the chickpeas and rinse them in fresh water.
- 3Preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C if using a fan-forced oven.
- 4Place chickpeas in a medium saucepan of boilingwater. Return to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for approx one hour or until the chickpeas are tender. Drain the chickpeas.
- 5Meanwhile, toss the onion, capsicum strips, kumara cubes, unpeeled garlicand 4 teaspoons of the olive oil in a shallow baking dish. Bake, uncovered for approx 30 minutes, or until the kumara is tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 6Remove the two garlic cloves from the veges . Squeeze out the garlic into a large bowl. Discard garlic skins. Whisk in the remaining olive oil, lemon juice and mustard.
- 7Add the cooked chickpeas, roasted vegetables and spinach leaves to the garlic vinaigrette. Lightly mix to combine.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea and Kumara Salad
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.7
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 72.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 12.4 g