Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Kumara is gold sweet potato. For this recipe you could substitute a can of washed and drained chickpeas in place of the dried. If using the dried chickpeas, they do need to be soaked in water overnigh tand then cooked for about an hour
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans (200 grams)
- 1 red onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 red capsicum, sliced thickly (red sweet bell-pepper)
- 1 medium kumara, cut into1cm pieces (gold sweet potato about 400 grams)
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 200 g baby spinach leaves
- If using the dried chickpeas- they do need to be soaked overnight. Place the chickpeas in a medium sized bowl and cover them with cold water. cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse them in fresh water.
- Preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C if using a fan-forced oven.
- Place chickpeas in a medium saucepan of boilingwater. Return to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for approx one hour or until the chickpeas are tender. Drain the chickpeas.
- Meanwhile, toss the onion, capsicum strips, kumara cubes, unpeeled garlicand 4 teaspoons of the olive oil in a shallow baking dish. Bake, uncovered for approx 30 minutes, or until the kumara is tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove the two garlic cloves from the veges . Squeeze out the garlic into a large bowl. Discard garlic skins. Whisk in the remaining olive oil, lemon juice and mustard.
- Add the cooked chickpeas, roasted vegetables and spinach leaves to the garlic vinaigrette. Lightly mix to combine.
Healthy little number that went down a treat. I sub'd baby spinach with young spinach leaves I had in the garden which seemed to work really well. Great dressing too!! Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap March 2013.
I love colourful dishes and this one is a beauty. I made as written, but next time would add up to a teaspoon of ground cumin. Cumin and chickpeas are made for each other. Thanks for posting such a healthy recipe that will make lots of appearances at our house.