Recipe by cam7
This recipe has been in our family for years and is a favorite. It can be doubled to serve 10-12. Goes well with french bread and a salad
- 4 1⁄2 lbs chicken
- 4 cups water
- 5 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces spaghettini
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in large pot and fill with enough water to cover. Add 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp onion salt and 1 tsp celery salt an d simmer gently until chicken is tender. Set aside to cool, then remove chicken from bones and cut into bite size pieces.
- Strain broth and reserve and set aside 2 1/2 cups broth. Add 3 qts of water and 2 tsp salt to remaining broth and bring to boil. Add spaghettini and cook for 6 minutes or until tender crosp, stirring occasionally.
- In medium skillet heat 3 Tbl butter, add mushrooms, sprinkle with lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt. Saute until soft. Toss mushroom butter mixture withi spaghettini, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Melt 3 Tbl butter, remove from heat and stir in flour, 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper and nutmeg. slowly stir in the reserved 2 1/2 Cups chicken broth. Cook sauce, stirring gently until thickened. Add 1 cup heavy cream and pour over chicken. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Stir chicken and sauce mixture, pour over spaghettini and toss gently until well mixed.
- Put in 12" x 18" x 2" baking dish and bake for 25 minutes or until hot through and through.
- *Note: I usually make this with the smallest elbow macaroni since I was never able to find spaghettini.