Made on the spur of the moment - a delicate chicken pie, loaded with flavor and diced vegetables, so easy to make. Wonderful comfort food and easy on the pocket too - Chicken thighs have loads of flavor and are much cheaper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 750 g chicken thighs
- 1 brown onion, small dice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 celery rib, small dice
- 150 g carrots, small dice
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 100 g frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, cracked
- salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, approx
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- cayenne pepper, a few shakes (optional)
- 0.5 (17 ounce) packet puff pastry
- This pie does not have a lining of pastry only a lid on the top.
- Skin the Chicken and take out any bone - this should leave you with at least 500 grams of meat. cut into chunks.
- Dice the Carrots, celery and Onions. Crush garlic into the onion.
- Flour the diced chicken and seal half in a skillet with a small amount of oil pan until it changes color, repeat until all the chicken has been done. place in a bowl.
- Add some oil into your skillet or non stick frying pan, and slowly sauté the onions, garlic, carrot and the celery for at least 5 minutes.
- Add the Stock Cubes, seasoning and hot water, bring to the boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chicken to the vegetables and simmer for a further 15 minutes. a few shakes of Cayenne pepper does bring the flavor out - use sparingly.
- Add The frozen peas and parsley, and stir. the filling should not need thickening.
- Place in a pie dish and roll out the pastry and place on top.
- Cook in a Hot oven for approx 30 minutes.
- You can make a smaller pie and freeze the other half of the filling.
- Serve with Garlic mashed potatoes and a vegetable of your choice.