Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We had a wonderful pasta dish at a local restaurant and I have spent time recreating and (blush blush) I think improving on it. This is not low fat, but it is nice for a once in a while treat. If you want to indulge even more, perhaps for company, (and make it taste even better) use full fat cream instead of the half and half! I use bought, jarred pesto but homemade would be even better. I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 lb penne rigate (the kind with ridges, 4 cups dry)
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, sliced 1/4 inch thick and in pieces
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup mushroom
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2⁄3 cup pesto sauce
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, fresh grated (only the real stuff, not in the green can!)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Season and saute the chicken breast. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne in salted boiling water.
- In the same pan as the chicken breast, saute mushrooms and onion. When almost done, add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add cream and pesto and bring to a boil. Put the chicken back in the pan and add the sun-dried tomatoes Simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
- Add most of the parmesan (reserving a little for the top).
- Drain the penne saving some of the water.
- Add the penne to the sauce and stir. Add reserved water if needed to thin the sauce.
- Serve penne topped with the saved parmesan and basil if using.