Recipe by twissis
This is a great sandwich & about the best way I know to use leftover grilled chicken & roasted peppers, so plan ahead for it + marinating the mushrooms. My source is the Wildflower Bread Co in Scottsdale, AZ. Stated times do not include the original prep/cooking of the chicken & peppers or the refrigerated marination of the mushrooms. Enjoy! .. *Edited to Add* -- This recipe was included for Greece in ZWT6 due to its strong Mediterranean influence + the use of feta cheese & pesto. :-)
Top Review by loof
Great hearty and flavor-packed sandwich! I didn't have the mushrooms I thought were on hand the evening before I planned to have this, so just used jarred sliced mushrooms and marinated them in the balsamic for about 6 hours. The pesto was a great addition, perfect with the other flavors. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT9, The Apron String Travelers
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 ounce balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces red bell peppers, roasted
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves (Approx 4 oz ea)
- 4 Italian rolls
- 4 ounces pesto sauce
- 4 ounces feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate mushrooms in balsamic vinegar for at least 24 hrs under refrigeration, stirring occasionally. Discard any excess marinade when ready to assumble sandwiches.
- Slice peppers into 1/4-in wide strips.
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4-in thick slices.
- Trim any fat or rib meat from the chicken breasts & grill till done.
- To assemble sandwich: Slice 1 roll in half lengthwise. Spread 1 oz of pesto on the bottom of the roll, then crumble 1 oz of feta on top of pesto, covering the entire surface.
- Place a chicken breast on top of the feta, then 1/2 oz of mushrooms on the chicken, 1 oz of roasted red pepper strips on top of the mushrooms & finish w/3 tomato slices & the top of the roll.
- Insert 2 toothpicks, slice on the diagonal & serve.