1/1 Photo of Chicken Noodle Soup
4 hrs 15 mins
This is a soup that my grandmother and my mother both made - its a different but delightful change to blah chicken soup
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 -5 lb) roasting chickens (cleaned and trimmed of excess fat)
- 1 cup white onion
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/2 cup carrot
- salt and pepper
- 1Place the whole chicken in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil - once boiling add a hand of kosher salt - if you add the salt before the water boils your stock will be cloudy.
- 2Add your vegetables to the stock they do not need to be peeled you will be removing them, simply chop into large pieces.
- 3Cook for approximately 1-2 hrs or until the chicken meat starts to fall off the bone.
- 4Remove the chicken from the stock and set aside. Remove all the veggies that remain in the stock. Allow to cool, once cool any fats will come to the top, remove the fats (sometimes the best way of doing this is to set the stock pot in the fridge and allow the fats to harden, its easier to remove).
- 5Remove all skin from the chicken that has cooled and dice all of your available meat.
- 6In a large pot add your olive oil and diced onions, saute till tender.
- 7Using cheese cloth make a 6" x 6" square place your star anise, bay leaves, cinnamon, garlic, clove and peppercorns in the cheese cloth and bring all four edges to the center and tie with a piece of kitchen string, leave the string approximately 6 inches long after you tie, this will be tied to the handle of your pot for easy removal.
- 8Add your cooled chicken stock to the onions that have been sauting.
- 9Cook this for approximately one hour over med low heat with the lid on. Remove the garni when you are ready to serve the soup (the cheese cloth bundle).
- 10In separate pot cook your noodles to el dente, when done reserve 1 cup of your noodle water. Drain the noodles and drizzle with 2 tsps of good olive oil.
- 11Check your soup for flavor, if you have not reached your desired level of chicken flavor I add one or two bouillon cubes. Add the chicken meat, and parsley and the cup of noodle water. Just before serving add your noodles.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.9
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 58.0 mg
- Sodium 48.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: