Recipe by Melanie B.
I went through this phase where I wanted to try Phyllo with everything...eventually I will get more of these recipes posted...but here is one that is really fun for a dinner party or just surprising your kid with some healthy and fun food. I saw a similar recipe in a magazine and used the idea for inspiration.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 cup white onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, freshly chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups green beans, very thin, washed and cut in half
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, thinly sliced and toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan bring stock, onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, saffron, red chili flakes and cinnamon to a boil.
- Add Green Beans. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken. Season with some salt and pepper and cover. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Remove from heat.
- Begin prepping the Phyllo Sheets by cutting the stack in half. Layer 3 sheets, brushing melted butter between each sheet. Repeat this process until you have 4 rectangles ready to fill. I like to do this right on a buttered baking sheet to ensure they don't break as they are moved.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop mounds of the chicken, onion, and green bean mixture into the center of each phyllo rectangle. Sprinkle some of the almonds on top.
- Wrap the package by bringing each corner up and to the center. Squeeze together about 1 inch down from the top as if you are making a gift basket and fraying off the top. Spread out the top pieces to look pretty.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!