This is a recipe that you may serve for Brunch, Lunch or dinner. It is simple to make and with a little planning takes no time to prepare. Your next chicken meal cook an extra breast or save some chicken from that Sunday roasted one. Substitute prepared frozen hash browns for the fresh red ones. Chop and measure ahead of time then the actual cooking time is only 20 minutes on top of the stove and about 15 minutes in the oven. If you love spinach double the amount in this recipe. I like to serve this with a spicy sweet Chili sauce or chutney on the side. I have said serves 2-4 however if this is your main dinner dish it serves only 2, for brunch or lunch with side dishes it can serve 4
- 236.59 ml red potatoes, peeled and cubed to the size of hash browns
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2-3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 portabella mushroom, gills removed, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 141.74 g fresh spinach, stems removed, cleaned and chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2.46 ml lemon, zest of
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg
- 236.59 ml cooked chicken, 1/2 inch dice
- 6 eggs
- 14.79 ml butter
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 9.85 ml parsley, chopped (garnish) (optional)
- 29.58 ml sweet red peppers, 1/4 inch pieces (garnish) (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a non stick oven proof pan with vegetable oil and pan fry the potatoes until golden (10 minutes), remove from pan.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and saute the chopped mushrooms for apprx 3 minutes, remove and add to the potatoes.
- Saute the garlic over medium heat until aromatic add spinach and stir fry for 1 minute (until just wilted) add lemon juice & nutmeg.
- Remove from the pan.
- Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add potatoes, spinach, mushrooms & Chicken.
- Mix well.
- Over medium heat in the oven proof skillet melt 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil, when the pan is heated pour in the egg mixture and allow it cook undisturbed for 10 mintes or until the bottom is set - be careful not to burn the bottom.
- Place the skillet into the preheated oven, middle rack and bake for 5 minutes, sprinkle on the Parmesan and continue baking for apprx 10 more minutes or until the top is firm and the cheese golden.
- If necessary place under broiler to finish browning the cheese but be careful it doesn't burn.
- Just before serving sprinkle with the parsley and pepper oieces if using.
- Let it rest 5 minutes then cut in wedges and serve.
- Serve with a spicy hot sauce or chutney on the side.