This recipe is a little bit of a process, however it is totally worth it. I know that most chicken fried steak has gravy, but this one is so flavorful I really don't think that it's necessary. This one can be a bit messy, but the end result is worth it as well.
- Trim any fat from pound steak. Then, cut into steak size pieces (about 4-6 oz). Pound steak thin with a meat tenderizer.
- In large baggie, place 2 packages of saltine crackers and close. Crush saltine crackers using rolling pin; make sure to crush completely. Empty crushed crackers into shallow dish or pie plate.
- In seperate pie plate mix flour, seasoned salt and pepper.
- In another seperate pie plate or shallow dish beat egg and milk together.
- Place dishes in the following order: 1. flour mix, 2. egg/milk mix and 3. crushed crackers.
- Heat shorening in electic skillet to 300 degrees.
- Dip each piece of meat into the pie dishes in order until well coated.
- Cook in electic skillet, turning once, about 7-8 minutes each side, or until cooked all the way through.
- Remove from electric skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to de-grease the steak.
- Serve and enjoy.
Great recipe! I made it exactly as written and it was very tasty. The timing was right on and the breading actually stayed put unlike some of the others I've tried. Made for PAC 2010. Thanks emma for sharing your nice recipe.
The taste of this recipe is fantastic and brought back pleasant memories of the Chicken Fried Steak that my mom made when I was growing up. I did have a little trouble with my breading sticking when I turned them over to cook the second side, but it was my fault and had nothing to do with the recipe (I didn't put enough shortening in the pan). It tasted great nonetheless. Thank you for posting your recipe, emma1222. Made for Spring 2013 Pick-A-Chef.
This is the recipe I use and it is awesome. Hint for crushing saltines: I place mine in a coffee grinder and pulse it! Works beautifully!