Recipe by Evie*
This is an easy but delicious meal from the Los Barrios Family Cookbook. The restaurant, Los Barrios, is one of San Antonio's true gems. This is a recipe which I was lucky enough to adopt, have made it numerous times and love it.
Top Review by ciao
This makes the most tender, juicy chicken. We loved it! I used 2 chipotle peppers, and some of the adobo from the can. And I threw in some cumin, too. After simmering the chicken, I sliced it to about 1/2 inch slices, put it in the pan, and poured the sauce over. And while blending the sauce in the blender, I also threw in the garlic that had simmered with the chicken. This can't be any easier, but the results are very good. Thanks mox!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 4 canned chipotle chiles
- salt and pepper
- paprika (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the chicken breasts, onion, garlic cloves and 1 Tablespoon of salt in large pot and add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Drain well.
- While chicken is cooking, preheat the oven to 325 degrees Farenheit and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Combine the cream cheese, milk, chiles and salt and blend well, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- NOTE: If you're not sure how much heat you want in your sauce, start with one or two of the chipotles, and taste the sauce.
- Place the chicken in the baking dish and pour the sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with paprika and bake 20 minutes.