Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma One Pot of the Day'
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 6 thin slices lean boiled ham
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a sturdy paper bag, mix together the flour, sage, and paprika.
- Drop the chicken pieces into the bag, one at a time, and shake to coat on all sides.
- Shake off any excess flour mixture.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and saute until golden, 3-4 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Arrange the broccoli in a layer in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Cover with the chicken and top each piece with a slice of ham.
- To make the sauce, pour off the excess oil from the pan and add the cream.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the pan bottom.
- Add the sherry and boil for 2 minutes.
- Stir in all but 2 tablespoons of the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour the sauce over the ham and chicken.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Bake until the chicken is opaque throughout, the broccoli is tender, and the sauce is bubbling, 30-40 minutes.
- Serve directly from the dish.