Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Intensely flavored chicken breasts. Attractive, colourful one dish meal. Best prepared in advance, but cooked last minute, making it an ideal dish for entertaining. Prep time includes marinating time. Adapted from Bon Appetit, May 2008.
- 8 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas, drained)
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 8 skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (chopped, divided)
- Ideally prepare several hours or all day in advance for flavours to marinate.
- Make spice mixture: mix first 4 ingredients and divide in half. Be sure to use smoked paprika. It is the key ingredient!
- Mix 1/2 of spice mixture with olive oil. Set other half aside.
- Add 1 TBSP of oil mixture to the yogurt. Mix and put in refrigerator. Tip: yogurt mixture is very good. Consider making more, using some extra oil mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix chickpeas, tomatoes, corn, second half of spice mixture and 1/2 of the chopped cilantro. Set aside to marinate.
- Place chicken breasts in oil mixture and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate.
- When you are ready to cook, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place chicken in a pan and pour the bean mixture over and around it.
- Roast chicken until thoroughly cooked (about 20 minutes).
- Transfer chicken to plates, spooning bean mixture over it. Sprinkle with remaining fresh cilantro. Serve with yogurt mixture.
- If there are any leftovers, place shredded chicken and bean sauce in pita bread and top with yogurt sauce.