Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is comfort food- rich, delicious and satisfying! We just love it! Try this, you'll love it. Your family won't be able to stop eating it.
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 cups boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons pimiento, chopped (or roasted red peppers)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350. Line the bottom of a buttered 13x9 baking pan with the bread. Cut the bread slices to fit. Spread the chicken out evenly over top of the bread.
- In a small frying pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until slightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, add mayonnaise. Mix well and spoon evenly over chicken.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over mushroom mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, soup, eggs, pimiento, salt and pepper. Mix well and pour evenly over top.
- Bake 1 hour until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top and dot with slivers of the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Bake for about 10 minutes more or until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
Very satisfying dish! It reminds you of Thanksgiving. It would be a great meal to make with left over turkey. We used a sturdier rosemary bread instead of white bread which really was delicious and served it with peas and cranberry sauce. Yummo!
This is really tasty. I used whole wheat bread, made the crumbs out of the crusts and roasted my own pepper. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag game. :)