Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I found this on a card supplied at the butcher's counter at Harris Teeter Grocery. The only change I made was to omit the marjoram leaves due to personal preference but I've added it back to the recipe as an option here. If you don't have bone-in chicken breasts you can use bone-in chicken thighs (about 10 thighs or 3 1/2 lbs). Remember to remove the skin of the chicken and any really visible fat deposits.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup (or may use cream of mushroom soup)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 lbs bone-in skinless chicken breast halves, remove skin and visible fat from chicken
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Add onion, celery and red bell pepper to skillet and cook & stir until tender.
- Remove to a large bowl and blend the veggies/bacon mixture, water and all other ingredients (EXCEPT chicken) together.
- Place chicken into a lightly sprayed slow cooker and pour rice mixture over the chicken - mixing well.
- Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours or until chicken is completely cooked and rice is tender.
This smelled wonderful as it cooked throughout the day. I used bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (my family likes dark meat) and brown & wild rice. I chopped everything the night before, then cooked the bacon & veggies in the morning. The recipe went together pretty quickly and we had a comfort meal waiting for us when we got home. The chicken is fall-off-the-bone tender! The only thing I thought it needed was salt and pepper. Thanks for a great slow cooker recipe!
It is awesome! My family of 4 cleaned it up real good! Plan to use it again soon. Oh, I didn't use red bell pepper, dried marjoram and wild rice because I didn't have them. I used white rice instead and it's great!
Made for KK's Forum Mini Cookathon. Made per the recipe and although the flavor was wonderfully delicious I believe either I need to use a different Wild Rice or more of it because it came out really soupy. Will try again another time with more rice. Thank you for the recipe. Please accept my apologies, I neglected to adjust for the difference in altitude, an hour later rice was nicely cooked and sauce not so thin...just gotta remember that I live @3200 ft above sea level and this means I must start these slow cooker meals earlier. Thank you for a wonderfully tasty meal.