Prep 10 mins
Cook 23 mins
This is a refreshing salad which can be served as a luncheon dish or dinner with crusty rolls. Adjust Salt and pepper to taste. From Redbook Magazine/April 2001.
- 1 lb asparagus
- 3 oranges
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (using 1T/2T/1T in recipe)
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- salt and pepper (for asparagus, dressing and chicken, see recipe directions for amounts needed for each)
- 4 (5 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- Heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Cut asparagus diagonally into 2 inches pieces, toss with 1 Tbs. of the oil, 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper in a roasting pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.
- Peel and segment 2 of the oranges; set aside.
- Juice the remaining orange and whisk together juice, 2 Tbs. of the oil, 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/8 teaspoons ground black pepper; stir in chives.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper, or to taste.
- Cook in the remaining 1 Tbs. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned on both sides, 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover skillet, and cook chciken until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Combine asparagus, greens, and orange segments and toss with half the orange juice mixture.
- Divide among 4 servings plates, top with sliced chicken breasts, and drizzle with remaining orange juice mixture.
Family liked the meal, but I found the chicken a little bland. Easy to make.