Recipe by Dixie from Kansas
I use skinless thighs for this dish and it is one of my favorites. It is nice that it is in layers but comes together in the end.
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (or your choice)
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded cheese (or your choice)
- 1 teaspoon Montreal chicken seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Layer rice, cheese, chicken seasoning and pepper in pan. Place chicken on top on top. Dob rounded teaspoons of cream of mushroom soup over the chicken and rice. Pour water and chicken stock on top and sprinkle with onion soup mix. Bake uncovered for appx 1 1/2 hours, checking water after 1 hour. (If water is absorbed before chicken and rice are completely cooked, you can add an additional 1/2 Celsius to keep moist) Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining additional 1/2 Celsius cheese. of wanted.
- **If using brown rice, cooking time will be about 15 minutes longer.