Recipe by English_Rose
Based on the classic english bakewell tart. If you know someone who likes almonds and cherries, then they will just love this cake – it’s full of almond flavour and sandwiched with cherry preserves.
- 7 ounces butter, well softened, plus extra for greasing
- 7 ounces superfine sugar
- 4 ounces ground almonds
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond essence
- 4 large eggs
FOR THE FILLING AND TOP
- 6 ounces black cherry all-fruit spread
- 6 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 6 teaspoons water or 6 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350F and make sure there's a shelf ready in the middle. Butter and line the bases of two 8in round sandwich tins with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat together all the cake ingredients with a pinch of salt until smooth, then spoon into the tins and level the tops.
- Bake for 30 mins or until golden and springy. Don't open the oven before 25 mins cooking time has passed.
- When they're ready, cool the sponges for a few mins, then tip out of the tins and cool completely on a wire rack. Make sure the top of one of the cakes is facing up as you'll want a smooth surface for the icing later on.
- When cool, put one sponge on a serving plate, then spread with preserves. Sandwich the second sponge on top. Sieve the confectioners sugar into a large bowl. Add the water or lemon juice, then stir until smooth and thick. Spread evenly over the top and let it dribble over the sides. Scatter with the nuts and leave to set for a few mins before cutting.