Recipe by rachel ernst
This is a great dessert for the Atkins induction diet because it is very low in carb... almost none. Also good for Diabetics. It is also easy.
Top Review by MzMombo
I've made this twice now. The first time I followed directions exactly. It was tasty but a bit bland, so the second time, I reduced the cold water AND the cream by 1/2 cup each, and added 2 packets of Splenda. I like the richer taste, and it still makes 8 large servings. It's really easy to make -- just be sure to allow 3-4 hours for the jello to set. Thanks for a delicious and satisfying low carb dessert! When made with my changes, there are 1-1/2 Net Carbs per serving.
- 5⁄8 ounce sugar-free cherry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups ice cold water
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the gelatin according to package directions: add boiling water to gelatin and mix until completely dissolved.
- Add the cold water and almond extract.
- Chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Whip the cream till stiff.
- Be careful not to overbeat (it becomes whipped butter. Instead you want gentle peaks).
- Add the whipping cream to the gelatin.
- For a stiffer, jello-like consistency simply mix with a spoon.
- For a flufflier consistency more like light mousse, use an electric mixer and mix the cream with the jello until frothy.
- Chill until set.