Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 3⁄4 cup chopped almonds or 3⁄4 cup pecans
- 1 (16 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained,halved
- In a mixing bowl cream shortening and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time,beating well after each addition.
- Beat in extract.
- Combine the flour baking soda and salt,gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in coconut and nuts if desired.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Place a cherry half in the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
LOVE these cookies! They are so easy to make. Got RAVE reviews at work! Thanks for sharing this keeper.