Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Such fun! Make your own volcano at home, the kids just love the eruption. My boys can never get enough. This isn't food, more of a science experiment & a great way to have fun with the family. One time we did this at a birthday party & let each child make their own. The dirt is optional!
- 1 tablespoon liquid dishwashing soap
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- You will also need 1 empty 25oz. plastic bottle.
- Build a mound of dirt up around the bottle, keeping the top open.
- Combine the soap and food coloring in the bottle.
- Add vinegar and pour in water almost to the top.
- Here's the amazing part! -- In a large spoon blend the baking soda with a little tap water to moisten it and then quickly pour into the bottle.
- The contents will erupt out of the bottle just like a volcano.
- The kids will want to see this more than once so be prepared :).
This was totally awesome, it worked great! I forgot to add the dish soap, but didn't realize it until I saw it sitting out on the counter a little later LOL. It was fine without it, I don't think it could have gotten any more bubbly :) Thanks for a great idea!
Used to make a simple version of this (just baking soda and vinegar) with the kids and when I was a kid! Your additions sound great. We used clay instead of dirt which is easy and looks nice. You can use brown for the "mountain" and have red clay coming down the opening like hot lava.