Recipe by Chef-Boy-I-Be Illinois
Inspired by Eating Well Magazine and my partner's desire for fish and chips, here's a quick and delicious recipe for fish sticks. The whole grain coating with lemon zest provides that crunchy coating we expect with fish sticks and keeps the fish nice and moist. But, without all the oil typically used to fry fish, this is much healthier. We both thoroughly enjoyed these using perch fillets, but I think it would work equally well with a number of other fish. Served with oven baked potato wedges and mixed vegetables.
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 cup whole-wheat dry breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup kellogg's wheat bran flakes
- zest of one lemon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 lb perch fillet
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.
- Place breadcrumbs, cereal flakes, lemon zest, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and process until finely ground. Transfer to shallow dish.
- Place flour in second shallow dish and egg beaters in a third shallow dish. Dredge each fillet in the flour, dip it in the egg beaters, and then coat all sides with the breadcrumb mixture. Place on the prepared rack. Coat both sides of the breaded fish with cooking spray.
- Bake until the fish is cooked through and breading is golden brown and crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes.