Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of the first dishes I served company when I became vegetarian. Everyone was astonished that this cheesy tasting lasagna didn't have any cheese in it! I originally saw this recipe published by user submission at vegweb.
- 2 (1474.17 g) jar spaghetti sauce
- 453.59 g spinach leaves
- 226.79 g carrot
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 59.14 ml vegetable broth
- 453.59 g firm tofu
- 226.79 g cream cheese (vegan version)
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 453.59 g box lasagna noodles, cooked
- 59.14 ml nutritional yeast
- Slice carrots and steam, set aside. Saute parsley and garlic for 1 minute in an oiled pan. Add carrots and veggie broth; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add tofu, vegan cream cheese, and lemon juice; stir well. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until "cheese" starts to melt. Stir in nutmeg and nutritional yeast. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Place 3 lasagna noodles in bottom of 11x7 baking dish. Layer carrot mixture, noodles, tomato sauce and spinach until done. Top with spaghetti sauce. Cover and bake 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes until thoroughly heated.
This recipe was amazing! Had it for dinner with guests and everyone loved it! Can't believe a vegan dish tasted this good! And it wasn't heavy like most Italian dishes are. This is the first dish I've made for my new 2 week vegan diet (I have a lot of GI issues and was told to try cutting out meat and dairy) and after eating this dish I didn't suffer any symptoms which was great! Also, I only needed to use about 5 oz of spinach (half a bag) since 16 oz is way too much and there was no room for that much spinach. Also, the recipe said to use a whole box of lasagna noodles which is way too much. The recipe should specify how many noodles to use, so you can save lasagna noodles for next time. You only need to use 9 noodles FYI. :-)
Wow this was so yummy!! I used roughly 1 cup carrots, 1 cup mushrooms, 2 zucchini, and 1 yellow squash. I didn't use all 16 oz of fresh spinach either. I used baby spinach and probably used about 5 oz, just enough to layer in between the carrot mixture and the sauce. Also, there is no mention in the reciped about what to do with the tofu, so we just assumed you were supposed to process it in the food processor. It turned out to be incredible, especially the 2nd day! It is definitely going to be a regular on our menu! Thanks for posting :)
This was really good..I did not use lemon juice and I used zucchini instead of carrot. Loved the taste of the cream cheese.And,I had forgotten about the use of nutritional yeast until I found this recipe. My spinach didn't get quite done enough, but I probably used more than called for. I may saute it slightly next time before adding it in..Thanks for the great vegan or vegetarian recipe.