Recipe by Girly_Girl_Lori
This recipe came from the Better'n Eggs websight. I put my own suggestions and recommendations in parenthasis. I actually like my low fat version better than the full fat version! These are great for a to go breakfast. Oh yeah! Kids LOVE these!
- 3 cups shredded hash browns (I use Simply Potatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (I use Smart Balance, but don't use Smart Balance Light)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb ground Italian sausage (I use turkey sausage or Boca)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups egg substitute (I use Better N Eggs)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup wisconsin aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup wisconsin provolone cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Grease 12-cup regular muffin cup pan; (Please make sure that you don't use paper muffin cups, or the hash brown cup will get stuck to the paper) set aside.
- In medium bowl combine hash browns, melted butter and salt; mix well. Press about 1/4 cup hash brown mixture into each muffin cup lining bottom and sides.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, brown Italian sausage in 10-inch skillet; drain fat. Add mushrooms and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Fill each baked hash brown cup equally with sausage mixture.
- In small bowl combine Better'n Eggs and Italian seasoning; (Sometimes I use a little but of hot sauce mixed in as well)! mix well. Pour Better'n Eggs over sausage mixture filling each muffin cup equally. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cup comes out clean.