Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
After trying 4 different Zaar recipes for Broccoli and Cheese Casseroles, I remained unimpressed...I kept having to take out ingredients I didn't like...So it came to me that I could take what I liked from each and create something NEW and it worked! Here is the resulting recipe...Serve with hot rice or pasta if you want starch with your meal...Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 3 cups (steamed and cubed)
- 1 lb broccoli, steamed and chopped (frozen may be substituted, but steam it too)
- 1 cup light sour cream (Cabot preferred)
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise (Kraft preferred)
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup, undiluted (98% fat free works, too)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°; you'll need a 13 x 9 pan for this recipe.
- In the 13 x 9 pan, spread out the broccoli; then layer the chicken atop the broccoli.
- Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, soup, lime juice, garlic and salt & pepper.
- Spread this mixture over the broccoli/chicken; top with the cheddar cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake 15 minutes, more or less, until hot and bubbly.
- TIP: you may serve this with hot rice or pasta if you want a starch with your meal.
This was really good! Very different from other recipes. The only thing I did different was I used lemon juice instead of lime since I didn't have any. I also chopped up 2 large cloves of garlic and added it while sauteing the chicken and added onion. Yummy!
Very creamy and good. I didn't have enough broccoli, so I added some steamed asparagus. I also used fresh garlic. Is deffinitely NOT your typical "cream soup" recipe.