We had this for breakfast this morning. The original recipe is from a local cookbook dedicated to the memory of a local teenager that died from a heart attack, Patrick W. Cox. I have made various changes in the original, so I hope you like it. We did.
- 226.79 g sausage
- 946.36 ml diced potatoes (diced very small, this is about 5-6 small potatoes)
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- 6-8 eggs, beaten (the original calls for 6 but mine were small so I used 8)
- 354.88 ml shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- 113.39 g fresh baby portabella mushrooms
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil, for frying potatoes
- 226.79 g can crescent rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown sausage and drain.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan over medium heat.
- When very hot, but not smoking, add potatoes and brown them very well until crispy (this will take about 20-25 minutes).
- Drain on paper towel.
- Line a lightly sprayed pie plate with the crescent rolls, points in the middle. Leave a little space between each one then work the dough with your hands to cover the entire pie plate.
- Add sausage and cover with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Add the crisp potatoes and cover with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Lay the mushroom on top of the potatoes.
- Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to the egg mixture and pour over the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes. The last 10 minuutes add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese to top.
Good stuff! Nice way to start the day. I made a few changes based on personal preferences... I baked the diced potato, coated with a little bit of olive oil. I chopped up the baby portabellas and threw them in for a quick saute at the end of browning the sausage, which I patted dry to get rid of the excess grease. I used the lower amount of eggs and less cheese and omitted the salt. Yum! Thanks for sharing!
DELICIOUS doesn't do this justice! I used frozen hash-brown potatoes which went very quick, so skipped that whole part about browning them. Used a can of mushrooms, cuz that's what I have on hand. Otherwise, kept everything else the same. I used six eggies. Nice brekky, filling and fragrant! *Aus/NZ Swap #14*
This was SOOOO good! We loved this and I will make it again and often! I didn't change a thing!