Top Review by Lalaloula
Mmm, these are really, really tasty! They are lovely and soft on the inside with a crunchy, cheesy crust on top. The cheddar really comes through and makes for a really nice cheesy taste. I left out the sugar and used a little less milk than called for (added it little by little until the consistency was just right) and that way the dough was easy to work with and everything came together quickly. From making half the recipe I got 4 big round scones, which were gone faster than I could watch. :) THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this yummy recipe with us, Kellogs! Made and reviewed while virtually visiting Ireland in September 09.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (256gm)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (3ml)
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Add grated cheese and dried oregano and mix.
- Cut in the margarine or butter till mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and mix to make a smooth dough. (add more milk if necessary to ensure mix is not too dry) Knead very lightly for ten seconds on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll or pat to about 3/4" thick (2 cm) and cut into individual scones.
- Top each scone with a little additional cheese and bake for approximately 12 minutes. Brush the tops with melted butter after removing from the oven.