1 hr 30 mins
In 'The Country Cooking of France' by Anne Willan
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Pate A Choux
- 1Preheat oven to 400° and lightly butter a baking sheet.
- 2In a large saucepan, combine the water, salt, and butter and heat gently until the butter is melted.
- 3Meanwhile, sift the flour onto a piece of parchment paper.
- 4Bring the butter mixture just to a boil; take from the heat and immediately add all the flour.
- 5Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for a few moments until the mixture pulls away from the pan sides to form a ball.
- 6Beat for 30 seconds to 1 minute over low heat to dry the dough.
- 7Beat 1 egg and set aside; beat the remaining eggs into the dough, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- 8Beat in enough reserved egg so the dough is shiny and just falls from the spoon.
- 9If too much egg is added, the dough will be too soft and not hold its shape.
- 10Rub the top of the dough with butter to prevent a skin from forming, and set aside until cool.
- 11Cut the gruyere cheese in tiny dice, or coarsely grate it, and beat it into the dough.
- 12Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip and pipe 1 1/2 inch mounds on the baking sheet, spacing them well apart as they will puff during baking.
- 13Alternately, drop mounds of dough on the baking sheet using 2 small spoons.
- 14Brush the mounds with the egg glaze and sprinkle with grated gruyere.
- 15Bake until golden brown and crisp, 25-30 minutes.
- 16The puffs often seem done too soon, so take out a puff and let it cool for a minute or two to check if it is ready before removing the rest.
- 17The puff should stay crisp on the outside and slightly soft inside.
- 18Gougeres are at their best warm from the oven.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese Puffs--Gougeres
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 71.6
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 43.7 mg
- Sodium 111.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.7 g