Recipe by Coppercloud
Fried cheese that are light/airy. To be eaten right after frying. Fron the cookbook "Tapas" The little dishes of Spain.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup swiss cheese or 1 cup gouda cheese, grated
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons flour
- ham (optional)
- frying oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pan(390-400/F), needs to be 1/2" deep. You can use deep-fryer if you have one.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold in the cheese cayenne and flour.
- With floured hands shape batter into walnut size balls. If adding ham, this should be cut into 1/2" cubes. You will need 8 pieces. Press cubes if ham into center.
- Cook in hot oil until golden brown.
- Can be kept warm in 200/F oven up to 30 minutes.