Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
It's not exactly your ordinary cookie!
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- Stir together cheese and butter until blended.
- Stir in flour and salt; blend well.
- Stir in cereal.
- (Dough will be stiff).
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls; place on an ungreased baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Flatten cookies to 1/4 inch thickness with a fork, makiing a crisscross.
- Bake at 350* for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
TERRIFFIC! They remind me of a cheese cookie a friend of my mom's used to make, only during the winter holidays, about 35 years ago. To the dough, I added a few shakes of Tabasco and some fresh ground pepper. Just before popping them in the oven, I dusted the cookies with cayenne pepper. Spicy, cheesy, and totally delicious. I'm going to be making tons of these over the holidays, and will probably tinker with the recipe to no end with different cheeses, adding herbs, etc. This is incredibly easy to make and even easier to eat! Thanks for a fabulous recipe!
These cheese cookie snacks are so quick and easy to make. I also added a bit of tabasco and sprinkled the top with a little cayenne. They were excellent. I used OLD cheddar as I felt it would impart a more cheesy flavour than regular cheddar. I would think you could also try some with swiss cheese to add yet another dimension to these simple yet tasty snacks. Yummy!
These are fantastic! Really light and crunchy... like a cookie cracker. It helps to chill the dough before baking. And follow Lizzie's advice, add Tabasco and dust with cayenne pepper for extra zing!