Recipe by NELady
From the Better Homes & Garden New Cookbook, c. 1989.
Top Review by Veggie Girl Kacey
The stuffing was absolutely delicious! I was picking at it while it was cooking. I am happy I had enough stuffing in the end. I used two portobello mushrooms which I marinated in this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/portobello-mushrooms-sauteed-in-garlic-and-wine-353823. I then went ahead and stuffed my mushrooms (the stuffing was perfect for two large mushrooms). I baked according to the recipe and everything turned out perfect. Would probably taste great without using the other recipe but I liked the flavours together so I think I will always combine these two recipes.
- 24 large mushrooms, fresh, 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and drain mushrooms. Remove stems. Reserve caps. Chop enough stems to make 1 cup.
- In a medium saucepan cook stems, onion, and garlic in margarine until tender; stir in bread crumbs and cheese.
- Spoon crumb mixture into mushroom caps.
- Arrange mushrooms in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bakin in a 425 degree oven 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through.