Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Family favourite!! Cheese and apple pie belong together.
Make and share this Cheddar Crust Granny Smith Apple Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, , cubed
- 1 cup shredded aged sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons shredded aged sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a food processor, combine flour and salt.
- Add butter.
- Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cheese.
- With machine rumming, drizzle in milk, processing just until dough comes together.
- Press dough into ball.
- Wrap in plastic, let rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour lemon rind, cinnamon and ginger.
- Add apples and toss to coat, set aside.
- Between two sheets of waxed paper, rollout dough into 13 inch circle.
- Transfer to large baking sheet.
- Spoon apple mixture into centre.
- Fold sides up over filling, leaving filling exposed in centre.
- Fold edge of pastry over to make finished edge.
- Bake on lower rack in 425 degree oven for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 mintes or until fruit is tender and crust is golden.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese, if using.
- Let cool before serving.