Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a staple at our house. We like to eat it by dragging some fresh pita bread through it by hand.
- Place eggplant above an open flame and let it actually burn on all sides until soft.
- Cool and peel.
- Mash pulp with a fork until it is like a paste.
- Add onion, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Stir in mayonnaise or olive oil or 1 tablespoon of each.
- Mix well.
- Serve on a lettuce leaf as an appetizer.
- Garnish with slices of tomato and cucumber.
I grilled the eggplant on the bbq to give it a smoky flavour. Added a minced garlic clove (we love garlic!) and a tiny squeeze of red-wine vinegar as well. Delicious!
This was great. I roasted the eggplant on the barbecue which gave the caviar a real smoky flavor. Also, the mixture that was not eaten immediately but stored in the refrigerator for a day tasted even more intense. In future, I will definitely chill it for 24 hours before eating