Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
Well, this is my own creation and I am so proud to share it on Zaar. I just made this very easy and simple dish for lunch a few days back to serve with hot rotis right off the stove! I am so glad dad loved this and so did I. There is no dish like cabbage that I love and I guess it's in my genes, because my mom and my grandma love cabbage just as much as I do;-)Try this once, and I bet, you will be making this alot! Enjoy!
- 1 head cabbage, washed,stem removed and shredded
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 fresh roma tomatoes, washed,peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 stalks of fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder (known as "hing" in Hindi)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mango powder (known as "amchur" in Hindi)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon methi seeds
- 1 medium fresh green chili, washed,ends trimmed and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
Directions See How It's Made
- First, shred the cabbage finely and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pot on medium flame.
- Once its hot, toss in the cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cumin, mustard and methi seeds.
- Allow to sizzle and splutter.
- Once they stop spluttering, toss in the curry leaves, green chilli and asafoetida powder.
- Mix well and stir-fry briefly.
- Then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, mango powder and curry powder.
- Mix well and then add the tomatoes and water.
- Increase heat to high flame and then cook, stirring continously, until the tomatoes are softened.
- Then add salt and mix again.
- Now add the cabbage and mix well, stirring continously, until the cabbage goes down in the pot.
- Cook, covered, on medium flame until the cabbage is not very crunchy and ready to eat.
- This is how we like it.
- You may keep it crunchy if that is how you prefer to have it.
- Serve immediately with hot rotis and plain yogurt on the side.